Thursday, September 4, 2008

Comfort food!

Hi there - Sarah here with my first contribution! Thanks to my quitting smoking [almost 3 weeks now!], I've been throwing myself into cooking, so this blog is a godsend. Having made my first blog-worthy meal though, I have been made aware that my food presentation leaves much to be desired. Although the meal looks a bit funky thanks to my lack of creativity and good light in the kitchen, it was damn tasty - as evidenced by the 3 empty bowls at the end of it!

Photobucket

Creamy chicken pesto fettuccine

serves 4 [or 3 very hungry housemates!]

400g fettuccine

olive oil

4 chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced [I shredded a BBQ chook instead, laziness!]

4 tbs basil pesto [recipe and photos to come]

2 cups cream

slosh of white wine [2008 Per Diem Traminer tonight]

1 cup toasted pine nuts

grated parmesan to serve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cook fettucine according to packet instructions - I usually get the water on the stovetop and start on the sauce. The sauce should have thickened enough by the time the pasta is done.

Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring often, for 5mins for until brown. Or, like me, you can buy a BBQ chook and shred it - munching on the wings as you go!

Add the pesto, cream, wine and some salt and pepper to the pan. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce has thickened slightly and the wine has cooked off...

Photobucket

Drain the pasta and put back in saucepan - pour in pesto mixture and pinenuts and toss over low heat until well combined. Serve with extra pinenuts and parmesan on top - om nom nom...

No comments: