Monday, February 22, 2010

Beetroot Bake


HUZZAH!!! I have a kitchen island/trolley! Here I am modeling it in a dashing green top and some fantastically well worn jeans - yay for all the extra chopping and preparing space! (what a kitchen dork I am!!)


I had leftover pumpkin and potatoes that I needed to use up - I also found about 5 beetroots that I had forgotten in the crisper! They were still good - so I thought I would use them up.
But what to do?

Why not a bake?

This is more reminiscent of a shepherds pie than a bake - but who cares - its tasty and its filling - and PINK!


Beetroot Bake

5 small beetroots, peeled, sliced and then halved.
1/3 small pumpkin - diced
3 shallots - chopped about 1.5cm long
4 heads of garlic - roasted
6 desiree potatoes - chopped and boiled with skin on
1tbs garlic butter
1 small tub of low-fat sour cream
1/2 small block of fetta - crumbled chunky.
salt and pepper to taste
dried mint
sprinkling of grated cheddar


Chop 1/4 tops off the heads of garlic - place on top of the bottom part - put into the oven at 200 celcius for about 10 minutes until soft.

Boil the potatoes, add garlic butter and 2tsp of sour cream. Mash thoroughly with a fork.

Place the beetroot, pumpkin and shallots into a bowl. Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves into the bowl (they will be hot and delicious - try not to eat them!)


Crumble in the fetta. Add the rest of the tub of sour cream. Salt and pepper to taste.
Mix well till all is coated with the sour cream. Place into the baking dish.

Put mashed potatoes on top. Sprinkle with mint and cheese.


Bake for 1 hour or until beetroots are soft enough to eat.

No comments: