Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Fancy Mashed Potatoes and Gravy

You know how KFC has those little tubs of Potato and Gravy? When I was a kid the Potato and Gravy used to be my favourite - the potato was so creamy and smooth and the gravy was just silky and delicious...

Of course, having been vego for the past 16 years generally precluded me from eating KFC potato and gravy. My sister on the other hand, ate it a few times since and remarked that it was a dish most foul!!

Today - I had a craving for potato and gravy, and I had an idea for a vegetarian version -
a FANCY vegetarian version. A fancy Japanese version!

It worked. I had to stop myself from eating more than a bowlful. My craving has been sated!!

Fancy Shmancy Vego Potato and Gravy
(serves 2-3 if you can control yourself...)


2kg brushed potatoes - peeled and quatered
3/4 pack HOT Java Curry sauce mix (Golden Curry or Kokumaro will work too) - this is about 4 cubes.
2tbs Gravox Pepper gravy powder
3/4 green capsicum, chunky chopped
2 carrots, chunky chopped
1 medium onion, chunky chopped
2tbs minced garlic
2tbs butter

a splash of milk or soy

Boil potatoes till soft to a fork. Drain, add butter and splash of milk. Mash well.

Put Java Curry, Gravox, capsicum, carrot, onion, garlic in a pot and add enough water to almost cover the veges. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. If gravy is too thick, add more water. Cook till carrots are done.

Serve gravy over mashed potatoes. YUM!!!




No comments: